Campus Box 1169
1 Brookings Dr
Saint Louis MO 63130-4899
A. Planetary Missions
B. Applications of Raman, IR, LIBS Spectroscopy to
- Explorations of the Moon (Wang et al., 1995, Haskin et al., 1997, Ling et al., 2010)
- Exploration of Mars (Wang et al., 1999, 2004, 2006; Marshall & Wang, 2010; Sobron et al., 2011; Sobron et al., 2011)
- Exploration of Venus (Wang, 2009)
- Exploration of Asteroids (Wang & Kong, 2010)
C. Instrumentations for Planetary Missions
- In situ Raman spectrometer (Wang et al., 2003)
- In situ active NIR spectrometer (Wang et al., 2010)
- In situ active UV Fluorescence imager PDF
- PEACh – Planetary Environment & Analysis Chamber (Sobron et al., 2011; Sobron et al., 2011)
D. Fundamental Planetary Science Research
- Mission observations – sulfate-bearing subsurface soils on Mars (Haskin et al., 2005; Wang and Ling, 2011; Wang et al., 2006a, 2006b, 2008)
- Thermodynamics and kinetics of Mars relevant hydrous sulfates
- Laser Raman imaging of extraterrestrial materials (Du & Wang, 2012)
E. Terrestrial Analog Field Investigations
- Saline playa in Qaidam basin on Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, China (Kong et al., 2009; Mayer et al., 2009; Sobron et al., 2009; Wang et al., 2009b, 2011; Zheng et al., 2009)
- Arctic Field expedition at Svalbard, Norway (Sobron et al., 2012)
- Subsurface environment and life in Atacama Desert, Chile (2011-2014 ASTEP project)
F. International Collaborations
- International GeoRaman science community (1984-2014)
- 11th GeoRaman International Conference will be held in St. Louis, MO, USA (June 15-219, 2014)
Wang Alian, Yuhang Zhou (2014) Experimental Comparison of the Pathways and Rates of the Dehydration of Al-, Fe-, Mg-, and Ca-Sulfates under Mars Relevant Conditions, ICARUS, 234, 162-173.
T. M. McCollom, B. L. Ehlmann, Alian Wang, B. M. Hynek, B. Moskowitz, and T. S. Berquó, (2013) Detection of Iron Substitution in Natroalunite and Potential Implications for Mar, American Mineralogist, 99, 948-964.
Takir D., J.P. Emery, H. Y. McSween Jr., C. A. Hibbitts, R. N. Clark, N. Pearson, and Alian Wang (2013), Nature and degree of aqueous alteration in CM and CI carbonaceous chondrites, Meteoritics & Planetary Science 1–20, doi: 10.1111/maps.12171.
Wang Alian, William C. Feldman, Michael T. Mellon, Mianping Zheng, (2013) The Preservation of Subsurface Sulfates with Mid-to-high Degree of Hydration in Equatorial Regions on Mars, ICARUS, 226, 980-991.
Kong W. G., B. L., Jolliff, Alian Wang (2013) Ti Distribution in grain size fractions of Apollos soils 10084 and 71501, ICARUS, 226, 891-897.
I-Ming Chou, Robert R. Seal II, Alian Wang (2012), The stability of sulfate and hydrated sulfate minerals near ambient conditions and their significance in environmental and planetary sciences, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jseaes.2012.11.027.
Wang Alian, Ling Z. C. Freeman J. J. (2012) Stability field and Phase Transition Pathways of Hydrous Ferric Sulfates in the Temperature Range 50 °C to 5 °C: Implication for Martian Sulfates, Icarus, 218, 622-643, doi:10.1016/j.icarus.2012.01.003.
Sobron P., Wang A. (2012) LIBS spectral data processing and calibration of sulfate targets with application to Mars exploration. Spectrochimica Acta Part B, doi:10.1016/j.sab.2012.01.002.
- International Innovation, published by Research Media, is the leading global dissemination resource for the wider scientific, technology and research communities, dedicated to disseminating the latest science, research and technological innovations on a global level. More information and a complimentary subscription offer to the publication can be found at: www.international-innovation-northamerica.com
Atacama Desert Field Trip
Co-Workers and Students
- Dr. Jie Wei (Resarch Scientist, April 2013 - present)
- Ms. Kathryn Connor (Research Assistant, July, 2013 - present)
- Dr. Hongwei (Bruce) Du (Postdoctoral Research Associate, Nov., 2011 - Dec., 2012 )
- Ms. Yanli (Lily) Lu (Research Assistant, Feb., 2011 - July, 2013)
- Mr. Yuhang (Alex) Zhou (Graduate Student, Sept., 2011 - June, 2013)
- Dr. Pablo Sobron (Postdoctoral Research Associate, Sept., 2008 - April, 2011)
- Dr. Weigang (Gavin ) Kong (graduate student, 2008 - 2010, Ph.D. 2011)
- Dr. Zhanxiong Peng (Research Scientist, 2008-2009)
- Dr. John J. Freeman (Research Scientist, 1999-2009)
- Mr. Stephen M. Seddio (Graduate Student of Prof. R. Korotev, Ph.D. 2013)
- Dr. Frank Fanjing Kong (Visiting Scientist, 2009)
- Dr. Zongcheng (Lewis) Ling (Graduate Student, 2006-2007, Ph.D. 2008)
- Ms. Karla Kuebler (Research Assistant, 1998-2005)
- Mr. Yang (Steve) Liu (Graduate Student of Prof. R. Arvidson, Ph.D. 2013)
- Ms. Elisa Israel (Graduate Student of Prof. R. Arvidson, A. M. 1996)
- Mr. David P. Mayer (Graduate Student of Prof. R. Arvidson, A. M. 2001)
- Other graduate students of collaborators (1997 – 2009)